Wednesday, May 30, 2007

More To Kill a Mockingbird...

For those of you wanting to try out a model essay that should help with the general themes covered in the exam topics...

"Atticus and his opinions are the moral centre of the novel. Discuss."

If you don't like this one, let me know and I'll think of some more...

11 comments:

madi said...

hey miss i was woundering if some day this week you could tell us all the wrok we need to hand in thanks that would be great

Anonymous said...

hey miss, I was wondering if you could give me another To Kill a Mockingbird practise essay? I will post my first one on my blog tonight. I was also wondering if I was writing an essay on courage could I do a paragraph about the lack of courage, the gang mentality. thanks from Stacey

Katy Cat said...

i fixed up my essay and i was wondering if you could have a look
let me know what you think

Katy Cat said...

no i really appreciate the criticism and the tips because it helps me to make it better. I've fixed it up again and highlighted the parts i've changed

Katy Cat said...

i was also wondering when our book reports were due

smorginator said...

miss, i'm trying to do a practice essay with the topic Discuss the way the ideals that Animal Farm begins with are corrupted (over time). and i'm just doing my plan at the moment. so far my points are:

-changing the commandments and breaking them
-“four legs good, two legs bad” changing to “four legs good, two legs better.”
-getting rid of Beasts of England. This was the song of the rebellion, and the rebellion is now over so there is no more need for the song.


but i only put the beasts of england one because i couldn't think of anything else. is that one good enough? or do you have another idea?

sorry this comment is so late (only being the day before the exam) andi understand if you can't get back to me before.

rosie's said...

hi miss,
i did a practice essay on "Discuss the way the ideals that Animal Farm begins with are corrupted (over time)."
my sub topics were as follows:
- ennimity to humans becomes alligence to humans
- equality and comradeship becomes a dictatorship and class society
- freedom and fair work becomes slavery

is this an ok approach?
also are you absolutely sure that there will be a topic on this in the exam? because i am planning to use the same ideas.
same as morgan said, sorry ive left this kinda late and if u cant reply by then thats cool ill just have to wing it!
thanks,
Rosie

CeeJay said...

Morgan, Your approach sounds fine. When you deal with Beasts of England, make sure you are explicit about the ideal that is being corrupted - look at some of the lyrics of the song and show why the pigs would want it banned. Post it up when you've done it - or even just paragraphs you're uncertain about and I'll have a look. I'll also write you something more detailed as a comment on your blog when I get home this evening - about 7pm...

CeeJay said...

Rosie, Your plan looks fine - if you wanted to post some or all of your essay I will have a look at it when I get home tonight - after 7pm.
On the exam topic - it isn't phrased the same of course but it is about what has changed (or not changed or changed for the worse) since the Rebellion.
You may find that you can't use the exact topics but you will be able to use the ideas and the quotes you've remembered.
Remember - its an exercise in feeling what it is like to walk into an exam and not know what the exact topics are - so treat it as a learning experience.

CeeJay said...

Alyson,
I'll take a look at your new improved essay this evening when I get home - probably after 7pm - and leave you any further comments - well done for all the hard work and I'm sure the exam won't be too daunting.

rosie's said...

thanks, but ive hand written it. i think it'll be alright. glad im on the right track thanks miss.