Friday, November 16, 2007

Two suggested practice essay topics for R and J

Here are the two other practice topics I have suggested...plus a reminder that you do not need to quote Act, scene or line numbers when writing your essays in the exam. In fact as long as the quote sounds close to the roiginal, it will be fine - i won't be checking the exact wording...

Here's much to do with hate but more with love.
Discuss in the context of Romeo and Juliet.

This topic is asking you to look at which idea seems stronger in the play - love or hate?


From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their lives
Discuss the role of fate in Romeo and Juliet.

This topic wants you to examine fate in the play.

Remember I'm interested in ideas not plot summary and as much as possible I want you to use quotes to demonstrate you understand the text itself as well as the ideas it contains.

9 comments:

rosie's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rosie's said...

hi miss, im trying to do the love/hate essay, ive got my contention: Love and Hate are both equally centeral in Romeo and Juliet as you cant have one without the other. but im finding it really hard to create arguments. the only way i can think of doing it is to list all the places love is used, and all the places hate is used and then show how you cant have one without the other, but i think that may be re-telling the story instead of using ideas? any help or tips would be much appreciated. thanks miss

Anonymous said...

hi miss,
I am trying to work a quote from the prologue into my responsibility essay from Romeo and Juliet and I was wondering if I could put it into my introduction somehow because I don't want to change my body paragraphs too much. I was also wondering if you have read my love/hate essay yet.

rosie's said...

sorry about all the comments. ive done my fate essay and i tried to make it more about ideas than retelling the story so if you want to have a quick look at it miss its posted. thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

sorry about commenting you again miss but I was wondering if a rebuttle is neccessari in our essay. I haven't put one in either of my practice essays but I was wondering if it would boost my mark in any way.

Anonymous said...

hi miss, I just wanted too let you know that I have posted my issues which you said I could write as an alternative to my language analysis essay.
thanks

CeeJay said...

Rosie (and anyone else looking at love and hate) - I've had a look at your fate essay and made some comments on your blog. With love and hate I think your contention is fine - what i suggest is topic sentences that look at how love and hate connect
So - 1.R and J recognise they are in love with their enemy and that it is their names that seperate them - "it is thy name that is my enemy' or whatever it is she says...
2. Tybalt does not recognise that his enemy is now part of his family "so dear Capulet, whose name I tender as dearly as mine own, be satisfied..."
3. Their love is destined to end the hate - so stuff from the prologue, from the Friar "...will turn your households rancour to pure love..." and from the end - where Montague and Capulet make peace "this day a glooming peace descends..." or something like that.
Does that make sense?

CeeJay said...

Stacey, I've looked at all three pieces of work and made some comments on your blog.

Anonymous said...

thanks for your comments. I have made some of your suggested changes to my love/hate essay. I didn't add anything about Romeo previously saying he loved tybalt in the second essay because I did think that it would make it a bit confusing. I do think thatt my love/hate essay is the better of the two and I'll try and use those ideas in the exam if possible.